Sausage Egg Pie
1 pkg. refrigerated pie crust (there's usually 2 in here)
1 pkg. mild Italian breakfast sausage
1 small can diced green chiles
1 small can olives
1 bag frozen O'Brien style hash brown potatoes
1/3 c. half & half
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
optional: spinach, mushrooms
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Place 2 cups of the frozen potatoes in a bowl to slightly thaw. Unroll one of the pie crusts and put on bottom of pie pan. Poke with fork a few times. Bake for 15 mins.
2. While crust bakes, brown sausage, drain. In the pan where the sausage browned, add the potatoes (it's okay if they are still frozen) and the olives, chiles, or any other veggies at this stage. Cook potatoes until soft (about 8 minutes). Add the sausage back into pan.
3. In the meantime, combine half & half, eggs, salt and paper and whisk.
4. Turn oven down to 350. Now it's time to layer on top of your baked crust! 1/2 of sausage/potato mix, then 1/2 of egg mix, then all of the cheese, remaining sausage, remaining egg.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow to sit for 5-10 mins before cutting.
Enjoy! Here are some process pics:
|finished crust. It's not the prettiest thing (I never said I was Martha Stewart) but it'll be yummy!|
|layering the ingredients|
|right out of the oven|